Friday 14 October 2011

Living the Dream: Great Moments, come from great opportunity!

So Wales are in the World Cup Semi final and my trip no longer holds the same anxieties of whether I made the right choice to come, nothing quite like a bit of validation, thank you Mr Gatland.

So I was meant to spend a day sleeping off that disastrous bus ride but instead I got a call from Mugsy Sr, Ieuan Moorcraft and Dave telling me to get my ass down the fanzone in Auckland as Ieuan only has a few days before he left. So I ran a quick couple of chores and jumped on a bus down to the fanzone, and found them in the bar tailored in wales jerseys causing the usual ruckous. As funds are now a serious issue I had no intention of drinking but with the utmost respect mugsy, Ieuan and Dave they bought the drinks. After a while we went onto a virtual kicking game they had and although Ieuan and I put several perfect kicks through the computer didn't register them, Mugsys goal kicking was suitable for a prop, dreadful, and Dave managed to get the only one over when it appeared to be low and wide, who knows ay. in the shenanigans we acquired a rugby ball from the tent, which I am almost certain was not through legal means but came with us none the less. We went to get Mugsys van and rock onto the next bar but incidents in the prescence of Penarth rugby players are few and far between. When the boys were getting rid of shrapnel to pay the outrageous parking fees a well dressed Asian guy queued behind them, and after a few seconds he suggest that they pay his parking fee as well, understandably the immediate reaction was to tell him to piss off.....which was the spark. The guy, who had a strong kiwi accent regardless of his Japanese heritage, led into a barrage of four letter insults basing it on race. You White c**** this, you pommey bastards that, and my favourite, you're all the same. Mugsy and Dave quickly told him to f*** off which is what he did. Next problem the barriers froze locking all cars in. Four behind us in the queue was this obscene guy beeping his horn and screaming abuse from his car. It was embarrassing on a number of scales, he was outnumbered four to one, was tiny and his girlfriend in the car looked mortified at his behaviour. After a while of him shouting and dave baiting him, mugsy had enough and approached his car. The guy got out and grabbed a long metal tool and held it by his side as if he was going to hit someone with it. Bad Idea! People from about  four other cars jumped out and confronted him about his behaviour etc and we gave him a rough ride and he was clearly panicked although tried to keep his big boy persona. Somehow, I really shouldn't reveal, he got a hurt arm and his glasses went bye bye off the multi storey. Eventually we got out but as we were driving away dive tried to flip him off again and fell over, very funny!

We decided to cool off at a British pub called the Cock and Bull in Ellerslie, and met Tina, Mugsys wife, for a few drinks. We were invited into a pub quiz and after much deliberation we reluctantly entered under the name Mochyn Du. I pretty much carried the team with Tina dropping in a few good answers. We did well up to the final stage and were way out in the lead when we bollocksed up Kiwi Current Affairs, however we managed to scrape into the Tie-Breaker where we were asked how many people currently live in Taranaki. Which is mugsys home town, needless to say we won and Mugsy got all the credit. As I was miles away from anywhere i went to mugsys for dinner and slept on the couch.

The next day I spent a while getting back to the North shore via train and bus, not quick and not cheap. Although I did see Dave Pearson the English referee in Britomart, so he must be running the line for one of the semis or being TMO. I settled in to a few days of rest at the Gregory house and took it easy planning and cooking and trying not to drink.

I have spent the last couple of nights dreaming I was in the Wales starting fifteen and it has upped the ante, I am very nervous, brimming with anticipation and filled with excitement.

So on Friday at lunch time I managed to secure a Semi Final ticket on the cheapest level but I will be there, incredibly happy but now this has upped the nerves by about 50 and the excitement by about a thousand. This is easily the biggest rugby match I have ever seen, in importance to me and my team, just hoping we go out there and do us proud regardless of result.......after all that's rugby, that's all it is.

Thats rugby, that's all it is! - Willie John McBride.

How great I am!

With Sam our Captain we'll take the cup home!


I have been pumping myself up with these videos! And marking quotes from these like those below.


“Life's battles don't always go to the stronger or faster man. But sooner or later the man who wins, is the man who thinks he can.” Vince Lombardi 




'Great moments...are born from great opportunity. And that's what you have here, tomorrow night, boys. That's what you've earned here tomorrow night. (paraphrase 
adaptation from miracle)'


'Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.' Winston Churchill

No comments:

Post a Comment